Music Banter - View Single Post - Bang your head to 50 great albums.
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #53 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

#43. Hacride - Lazarus (2009)

It is unfortunate that one of the greatest things about this album is the track 'To Walk Among Them'. It is a stupendous track spanning 17 minutes that encompasses brutal riffs, technical musical passages and more invention that many metal bands unfortunately cannot manage in their entire careers whilst still remaining relatively original, cliche free and utterly listenable. It's downfall? It is the first track on the album and any band that takes this approach is setting itself up for a fall. The surrounding tracks are equally as good but using this track as an album opener will always set yourself up for even more scrutiny than ever.

However, Hacride with only a couple of albums under their belt are blowing away many bands with a technical, progressive sound that never sacrifices their own sound for commercial gain. In fact the whole album is barely a step away from the heaviest sounds of Porcupine Tree, a band that they share many similarities.

Hacride are as heavy and intense as many bands around yet they are quite comfortable to give us harmonious vocal lines and catchy riffs without resorting to cliche Metal.

It's a prog album without losing it's identity. It's a heavy album without losing it's own sound. They are one of the few bands that I could recognise in the oversaturated cliched Metal market of today.

As they are French we probably won't be able to see them on tour too much or see their name plastered over Metal Mags which is genuinely a shame as the Metal fraternity is generally as close minded as the mainstream these days.

I have posted this beauty many times but already it has gained it's own identity into an oversaturated market of banality.

Here is the track that I have posted a few times but I just can't help myself:

and here is another from the album:

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote