Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #1148 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by storymilo View Post
Shweet. I never really play action games like it but it seems really good.

Also, since this seems to be the right thread, I thought I'd ask, as a kid who's never (or rarely) played any retro games or anything earlier than 2003-ish what are some good games to get to start it off? Maybe X-Com or something? Preferably PC as I'd rather not have to buy an entire console just to play some old games.
The first XCOM is quite brilliant Definetly an old classic, that one. You don't really say what kind of games you're after, though. There's a lot of good titles in different genres from earlier times. If you want RPGs f.ex, there's Fallout 1 and 2 and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and then there's Planescape: Torment for starters. There are lots of old adventure games too and particularly the old Lucasarts titles like Monkey Island 1 & 2 and Day of the Tentacle are fun.

The game that came to mind first because I've been thinking about it a bit recently and also when I made my favourite games list is the game Transport Tycoon Deluxe. It's a management game in which you run a transport company that deals in various kinds of transport like shipment of goods or people by trains, boats, cars and planes.

What's brilliant is that a team of smarties are developing an open source version of the game which even has a few fixes and so on. To install it, you need the old game (it uses the graphics) but you can find that easily on an abandonware site somewhere ..

The open source project and download can be found here : OpenTTD

It's really addictive Click here for a screenie if you want a better idea of what it's like. It's hours of fun!