Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #10262 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
I just lost... everything. I've been trying to find somewhere to fit all my music on my hard drive, my laptop doesn't have enough space. Went to transfer it to a pc we have with a 320 GB hard drive, and it finally crashed. Hundreds of gigs of music. It's all gone. I'm in shock right now. I have the 30 or so GBs I've transferred to my iPod. A lot of my favorite albums were on there that I was never able to get off before dropping it. Tons of ripped records. FFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK

That sucks the big one.
If I can offer any future preventative advice, it would be this:

Get a large enough drive for all your music first, then get another hard drive large enough for all your music. Have them both hooked to your computer. Download the free program: SyncBack.
Sync your first drive to your second, which will make an exact copy of everything from the first drive to the second. Then set up a sync profile that runs at a specific time every day, or at logon. What this will do, is every time you add or subtract or otherwise change a file that's on your originating drive, SyncBack will update the target drive with those changes. It happens in the background, silently, quickly, smoothly.

What you end up with is a completely redundant and daily updated drive that will provide you with a backup if either one of your drives fail.

It may seem like a lot of work, but it's not. I use it and I set up a redundant drive for all my important shit and populated it in less than 20 minutes for the initial setup. Everything else is instantaneous. It's a solution that will make it easy for you to maintain backups of your stuff.
And you won't ever have to make another post like this again.

Think about it.
And good luck.

Edit:
I probably just sounded like I was wishing you farewell and bon voyage on a star trek mission or something. lol...