Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #375 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I'd say agnostic atheism is a redundant expression. Anyone with his head screwed on should know that you can't know anything with absolute certainty. Everything you know could be the result of some massive psychosis and your real life is something you don't even know about.

In other words, all have to accept that at some level knowledge of God is not possible which I assume is where the word "agnostic" comes from in "agnostic atheism". However, by that definition just about all atheists become agnostic atheists and that makes it redundant.

Furthermore, it's not about what you have to intellectually accept - that some things we can't be 100% certain of. It's about what you believe. On that level, atheists reject theism and the existence of God(s). Whether or not you accept that knowledge of God is possible or not shouldn't really matter that much for how you define yourself. Accepting knowledge isn't possible on an intellectual level doesn't mean you have to take an active stance as a fence sitter in your beliefs.

If in a debate on religion you take an atheist stance when expressing your honest beliefs, that's what you should call yourself. Don't confuse things by mixing up expressions.