Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin "didn't stand for anything"
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Atomic Dove
Groupie

Default Led Zeppelin "didn't stand for anything"

Hi, first time poster.

I wanted to talk about this since I've read it sporadically regarding the band over the years, usually in critical analysis' of the group.

I can't say that I can argue with it from a lyrical standpoint when you compare their lyrics to the subject matter in the lyrics of other Hall of Famers like the Beatles, the Who or Pink Floyd. Even the Stones with their ostensible bluesy roots rock had content that was far more layered with meaning than most notice when listening to them.

As a symbol, they didn't stand for any particular sort of rebellion either. So I guess my question is does it really matter? While my love for the group has cooled since my teens and early 20's (I'd have to say that I actually like the Stones and the Who slightly better now) I still feel that they produced some of the finest played and produced rock albums ever.

Should the band lose "points" for simply being concerned with how the music is performed and recorded without any care for message? Voltaire said that art should seek to enlighten as well as entertain and if it fails to do either it isn't great art. (paraphrasing)

Did Zeppelin fail artistically in your minds? At least lyrically in symbolically?
Atomic Dove is offline   Reply With Quote