Music Banter - View Single Post - 2009 let downs
Thread: 2009 let downs
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Default 2009 let downs

Taking my cue from this thread: http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...tml#post771516, I thought it would be good to gather all our dislikes in one place.

What's disappointed you this year musically? Here are a few of mine:

Probably their worst release of the 00's. Not inherently awful but still a huge let down. The hour long 1st C.D has barely any standout sections and is a rehash of musical themes that PT have done better before. Couple that with a production that is hardly dynamic and you get probably the biggest letdown for me this year. The CD came out last month. It got a few plays before I went to see them. It hasn't had an airing since. Damn shame.

Pure Reason Revolution have slowly gained an audience enamoured with their multi layered harmonic Prog Rock that was structured well enough to tick all the requisite boxes yet remain original and refreshing in a market that has it's detractors. So what do they do after making massive strides with their previous 2 releases? Make an Electronic album and a damn poor one at that, so devoid of anything memorable or distinctive that one could almost weep. I guess one could see the reasoning behind it- poor sales and an audience not exactly lapping up their music but to make a complete about turn and fail so bad is beyond bewilderment. Another band bites the dust.

The Mars Volta- Ocathedron. By all means a progressive band should always try something new but this acoustic album is poor beyond belief. It's not even GOOD acoustic music. Bland, uninspired and totally forgettable. A major let down.

His earlier release Roadkillovercoat blew me away with his unconventional flow and beats that dipped it's toes in many genres and what worked so well was the individuality and catchiness of the album. It inspired me to go back into his back catalogue with Fear Of A Black Tangent proving more than equal to Roadkill. such a shame then that Jhelli Beam is the complete opposite and seemed uninspired and lazy in comparison.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote