Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Favorite Movie Directors Archive
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
No offense, but I personally think Baz Luhrmann is a worthy candidate for worst director to ever get any kind of critical acclaim, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with style over substance, but goddamn, is this guy's editor an ADD afflicted chimpanzee? Moulin Rouge had the most excessive use of cutaway I've ever seen. I usually love abrasiveness in film but this guy takes it way way waaaaaaay too far.

I just can't stand his work aside from Romeo + Juliet which was decent. Strictly Ballroom and Moulin Rouge were just incredibly hammy and overbearing.

Great call on Burton, Coens and Jackson though.
Yeah, I'm aware that he can get a little annoying. And oddly enough he doesn't really get that much critical acclaim here at all. A lot of his techniques are not my style but I can appreciate him for what he sets out to do and I admire that. And you're entirely correct when you say his films are 'hammy' because they are - they are theatrically exaggerated but in a very self-conscious way. And I know you can try to talk up bad directors but saying "Oh, but he means to do that" but in Baz Luhrmann's case he really does mean to. I found Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge really great. I love the whole theatre motif. Don't even talk to me about Australia, though... *shudder*