Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitar or amp purchase advice for mom
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomama View Post
hey Guitarbizarre! thanks so much for the detailed answer. i really appreciate it! okay--i'll go for the amp. IF I happen to find a screamin deal for the ibanez rga32 and the Vox amp...i'll get both--but doubt it. so ill get the amp first and i'll get that one.
one last question to you...do you think the ibanez rga32 (@$350) is a big enough jump in quality from the fender starcaster? He has another guitar too that looks cool (paulownia style body i think) but his grandparents only spent like $100-$150 on it, so it is a beginner guitar too.
i just want to make sure i am not waisting money on this step. should we wait till we can afford a more intermediate price ($600-800) or is the ibanez a smart in between step? sorry i am so unsure in all this. i really am grateful for your help!
happy turkey day!
The RGA32 should last for a long time to come, its a great step up guitar.

Worth noting by the way, margins have tightened with the recession and whatnot, but you can almost ALWAYS get a discount at a music shop by haggling a bit. My acoustic guitar should have been £370. Before I even expressed absolute interest in it, the salesman I was speaking to had told me that because business was so slow (due to the recession), he'd do me a deal on the guitar. Theres usually at LEAST 10% you can get from them, if you're in the right shop. If you're buying two things at once, that goes up to more like 15!

As for used amps - I wouldn't worry too much, since they're practically indestructible apart from the jack sockets, but I would definitely say not to buy sight unseen if you can help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote