Music Banter - View Single Post - EPs, singles, bootlegs... Do you bother?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I agree with a lot of what's been said.

EPs: In the 90s I never bothered with EPs, but I realized in the 00s that sometimes it's a band's best work. Not just because the tracks are better, but because there's no room for filler and it can make for a much tighter release. Also it's a great way to check out a band.

Singles: I rarely bother unless I really like the band and there's an unreleased B-side or more. If it's an album track released before the album and I'm anticipating the album, I'll wait for the album.

Bootlegs: Never cared for these. I own one bootleg, a live Ministry album from the 90s. It's ok. I prefer to stick to official releases.

B-side albums: If it's a band I love, I definitely would pick it up. Fully expecting it to be inferior to real albums, but it's still nice to hear everything a band's done.

Live Albums: They're not my favorite but sometimes they really are good. I find that I like live albums more if it's the first release I hear by a band. If I've heard studio work first, I usually don't seek out live albums. That said, of the live albums I have, I do like the funny between song banter, variations in the songs, occasional improvisation, etc.