Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #39 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Top 15 of the past decade (2000-2009)

Well it seems like the new thing is all about the your favourite albums from the past decade, so now due to lack of anything else that comes to mind, I will jump on the bandwagon too.

These albums will not necessarily be the "best" but my favourites for whatever reason in the past 10 years. At the end I might include some of my fav South African releases too, we will see though. Short write ups and illiterate ramblings to follow shortly.
__________________________________________________ _____________

15. Mastodon - Leviathan
Year: 2004
Genre: Progressive Metal

One thing you will notice about my list is that a few concept albums will appear on it. I am an absolute sucker for them, and this instance is no different.

It possibly contains the coolest intro to any song of this decade, with the intro to "Blood and Thunder", which is also the first case that you know this is going to be good... or is it? The album bands out some awesome riffs, comprehendable lyrics and a taste of diversity. However, there is one draw back to the album, being that no track on the album can live up to the beastly-ness of the first track.

The concept of the album revolves around Capt Ahab and his never-ending obsession with the White Whale, which the members of Mastodon have stated many times is alike to their musical journey. The storyline comes from the novel, "Moby ****."

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote