Music Banter - View Single Post - Disease in Ukraine?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Default Disease in Ukraine?

So I'm a little curious about something. I was listening to a talk show on the radio this morning and they talked about a serious plague going on in the Ukraine. It sounded interesting so I looked it up. I found reports that a disease was starting to spread near the end of October. Then, maybe a week later, the health minister said that nearly 200,000 people had contracted the disease and thousands were in hospitals being treated. This article was from the first few days of November.

Quote:
Nov. 2 (Bloomberg) -- The World Health Organization sent a team of experts to Ukraine today to investigate an outbreak of respiratory disease that’s sickened a quarter of a million people and left pharmacies without masks or flu remedies.
Ukraine Mystery Outbreak Sparks WHO Concern as Disease Spreads - Bloomberg.com

There was another article from November 5th about how the WHO was trying to play it off as just being H1N1, which it probably isn't. At this point, 500000 people were sick. Though I'm not sure about the validity of this article.

Quote:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is continuing to deceive the world by stating sweeping assumptions about the Ukraine pandemic. Despite huge differences in transmission and death rates, the agency stated Tuesday that it was valid to assume that most of the cases of influenza reportedly combing through the Ukraine were caused by the pandemic A(H1N1) virus... Almost 500,000 cases of influenza and acute respiratory illness have been reported, according to approximate but official Ukrainian figures cited by the WHO.
WHO Continues To Deceive: Assumes That Ukraine Plague Is H1N1 Swine Flu

The last article I found was from the Kyiv Post on a blog entry dated the 16th, and stated 1.25 million people were sick and had acute respiratory problems. And the disease it looks like might be something called H5N1.

Quote:
He noted that in Ukraine as of Nov. 13, since the start of the epidemic 1.25 million people have contracted flu and acute respiratory infections. The first deputy health minister said that A/H1N1 flu had been laboratory-confirmed in 14 people.
H5N1: Ukraine succumbs to "Supari's disease"

My question is, what the **** is going on? That means over the course of maybe 3 weeks, well over 1 million people contracted a disease and I haven't even heard about it here in the US? Does anyone over in Europe know what's going on there? It appears any news dropped off after that last article, from what I can find... Seems kinda scary to me.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote