Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #42 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

14. Orphaned Land - Mabool (The Three Sons Of Seven)
Year: 2004
Genre: Progressive Metal

Another entry, much of the same as the previosu one, but this will be the last of the sort in awhile, I promise!

Orphaned Land produced a really fine progressive, interesting concept album with this release. The concept follows along the lines of our supposed origins as humans and the journey we were involved in to reach where we are today, dating back to the beginning of time, so to speak. It could take a couple listens to really reap the rewards of the album, but they will hopefully be worth it, as the lyrical aspect of the album is strong, as are the musicians, although they can get a little strayed.

The story behind the band is a great one, being from Israel if I can remember correctly and attempting to promote peace with their neighbours through music. Personally I think that is pretty special, attempting to overcome the turmoil and war and prosper...

13. Sleepy Sun - Embrace
Year: 2008
Genre: Psychedelic Rock

This album along with the Orphaned Land one I have had for the least amount of time than any other on this list, and Embrace has been the most played off the lot, that makes a statement for itself. It requires no story, no guidelines, no help, nothing... All it requires is someone to listen to it, hopefully if you haven't before this will make you. Whether it is the slick instrumental passages or the ever-present pyschedelic fuzz, the catchy tunes or the beauty of the vocals, (which are best represented on the final track), one of these aspects will grip you while listening... If I could offer a refund policy to anyone who is not satisfied, I would, that is how much faith in put in the greatness of this album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
this was the first Mastodon album i ever had and one that's very near and dear to my heart, right after Blood Mountain. as for the rest of the album as opposed to the first track, i felt that songs I Am Ahab and Island really lived up to it, but you said yourself that the cd's full of diversity, so wouldn't it be a good thing to not have every song sound the same?

really there's alot that i love about this album, from the aquatic feel of the songs Seabeast and Naked Burn, the attacking intro on Aqua Dementia, not to mention the epic Hearts alive and the beautiful acoustic closer Joseph Merrick.

also, the guitar part in Megalodon (you know the one i'm talking about) makes me cream my pants.

hehe, it feels like i'm reviewing it too
The diversity of the album is a really good thing, I agree. I think that the final couple tracks I have are badly ripped or there is something wrong with the files themselves cause the audio quality is really poor. Gonna go reload the album again.

I actually totally forgot about the closer, it is a really fine track, a perfect end I would say.

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote