Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your music taste like?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
BTown
super cool

Throughout my childhood I was afraid of growing up, and I saw music as a means of growing up. My mom would always play Jazz like Diana Krall and Miles Davis for me and I had hated it. I can remember being on some forum in around 7th grade and there was a post about Smells Like Teen Spirit. I had heard the song before and immediately couldn't get enough of it. I can remember listening to the 3 Nirvana songs over and over again for weeks on end and this went on for around a year until I opened up to more Grunge. I was the biggest Kurt Cobain fanboy ever (and nowadays some of my old self is still prevalent.) and would get personally offended when people talked about Nirvana in a negative way.

Then last summer I went to one of my best friends house and he had just found this genre that was completely new to me, hardcore punk. He played me Pay To *** by Bad Brains and at first I didn't like it all that much, but knowing that Bad Brains was one of Dave Grohl's favorite punk bands I kept listening and it finally grew on me. From there I got a hardcore punk compilation album (American Hardcore) and got introduced to some more bands from there (Like Circle Jerks and Flipper.)

I'm not gonna bore you with all the details about when and how I got into all the bands I like today, but MB has had a major impact on what I listen to and what I respect. I'd call Nirvana and Sublime my favorite bands, Punk wise I'm into a lot of 80's hardcore punk like descendents, Black Flag, and Minor Threat, but I also really like the Angry Samoans and The Germs.

As of now Ska-Punk is my favorite genre with Operation Ivy being my favorite out of that genre. From Ska-punk I got into Skacore (Or crack rock steady) and really like bands like Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, and INDK.

I still like some Grunge too, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden have always been kind to me along with Green River. and although they aren't Grunge Dinosaur Jr is up there in my favorite bands.

I like a lot of Ska too, The Specials, Pepper, The Redskins and The Toasters being some of my favorites.

I also like a lot of Noise Rock and Math Rock or Mathcore, some of my favorites being Lightning Bolt, Hella,and Shellac.

I like some folk too, I'm big on the Bright Eyes and find Wingnut Dishwasers Union to be highly underrated Folk Punk.

And I guess that's it, I see my taste as pretty bland although I may dip into some genres that aren't so popular I tend to like the most popular bands out of that genre.