Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your music taste like?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

I was an NME whore up until about 17 when i put on my Dad's 'Best of Psychedelia' compilation. I was completely submerged in the atmosphere and mood evoked from this album and it changed my outlook on music completely.

I'm still a sucker for melodies and hooks, i have a huge admiration for pop music and the artistry implicit within it. However, these days it's more about the mood and atmosphere music gives me, i actively seek music that's going to take me out of my box, because to me it's when you're removed from the numbing monotony of the mundane that you really learn about yourself and your reality. If that sounds pretentious and/or stupidly obvious i apologise, but this is literally what music does for me; it's an escape from the blinkers.

I wouldnt say i favour a particular genre or two. I'm a big fan of Indie Rock, Folk, Psychedelia, Noise Rock/Punk, Screamo, Underground Hip Hop and Punk (as well as it's offshots, Post-Punk and Hardcore Punk). I'm also getting really into Post-Hardcore, particularly bands from the 90's such as Rodan and Unwound.

In terms of decades, i would say the 60s, 80s and 90s do it for me. Although recently i've made a concerted effort to immerse myself in new music, and the more i hear the more my appreciation grows for the 00's.

I think boundaries are an unecessary evil that can and often do stifle creativity. Consequently i think it's important that music be played without fear and with sincerity.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote