Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your music taste like?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

this is kind of hard to answer for me because i despise the concept of genres, and i see a clear distinction between playing songs and playing music (like the difference between having sex and making love).

a lot of that attitude comes from a combination of growing up as the child of a musician who wasn't interested in passing along the beat to the next generation as well as the so-called alternative music revolution of the 90s. it's not to say alt-rock wasn't a huge staple of my listening in my youth but it's the attitudes presented by the musicians that really stuck and influenced me as i grew older. like Pearl Jam sticking it to Ticketmaster because you don't need to play for 15 000 people who had to pay $100 a pop in order to be 'successful'. or the guys from Soundgarden talking about the fact that having a modicum of business sense does NOT mean your artistic integrity becomes compromised (incorporate your own publishing company so YOU retain full control on your songs even when signed to a label).

at this point i'm far less interested in hearing 'new' styles that are either rehashes (hey let's all be folkies ....) or rebrandings (i swear electroclash is NOT the same as 80s new wave synth pop....)

what i like to hear is a sense of aggression, some fire from the soul coming out through the instruments at play. it doesn't need to be furious jazz noodling, it's not necessarily some liquid finger guitar shredding, but it has to touch me in a way that let's me know that the people playing the music are letting it out. complexity and virtuosity are irrelevant if they sound sterile, formulaic anything is garbage that serves little more than an expansion to the ego far more often than not.

on the other hand i also really like lush textured atmospheric music as well, something where there so much sound coming at you that you can't help but get lost within it. enough layers that you can always hear a new combination of sounds every time you listen to it.

as such i find myself listening to stuff that lends itself more towards jamming / improvisation. like stoner rock or free jazz, spastic electro, dub, shoegaze, or Mike Patton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote