Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your music taste like?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #38 (permalink)
Schizotypic
Souls of Sound Sailors

My music tastes literally began with Music Banter, and admittedly I'm still finding myself musically. In my life directly before MB, on the rare occasion someone wasn't playing techno, I listened to The Mars Volta, Tool, System Of A Down, Nirvana, Guster, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and some of my friends had a lot of like Nofx or The Misfits playing.

Bout that time I put myself in rehab and decided in there to expand my taste, starting by using the counselors to make a list people I should check out. I was very cautions about it and actually convinced the three counselors that I thought had the best taste to go through a couple hundred names and kick out whoever didn't get a 2/3rds vote. My rehab was only for people under the age of eighteen, so needless to say about half of that list was gone an hour later.

After two months there I moved next to the Mojave desert to rely on dear old mommy for all my financial needs. I've been trapped in this god forsaken hell hole with nothing to do since. So I found MB very early on, and every name I saw in an album review or Journal, I instantly would look-up songs on youtube, and after four or five songs if I liked it I'd add that band or artist to the list. Takes me a while to get through a page, maybe a month, and at the end I enter it into the computer somewhere all alphabetized and whatnot and download all the ones I really wanted that I underlined. I actually used to keep up with those downloads but after page three I had so much music I figured I should listen to it, but I'm rambling on.

It's been a while but I remember about a year ago the first thing I clicked with was The Animal Collective, and I remember writing some crappy Air reviews. Some more stuff too I think, Gram Rabbit, Sonic Youth a little bit of The Doors.

I checked out a bunch of bands but I think my personal real music taste began with my sister turning me onto PJ Harvey. I didn't love it right away but her album Dance Hall At Louse point eventually became an old favorite, and since I've listened to at least three quarters of her discog. The next movement I made was into Nick Cave, listened to maybe three or four of his albums but I <3 his music so much. I sing and dance to them regularly. Then from there a couple Leonard Cohen albums, Comus, Leaf Hound, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, I don't know there were so many.

I'm going to stop here. Man, I spent so much time with a few albums but looking back I really feel like I rushed things... now it's just kinda how I do things. For instance I've kinda been on a late 60's psych kick lately. I don't know, I'll do this again in a year and we'll see what I say... for now, this: My music tastes literally began with Music Banter, and admittedly I'm still finding myself musically.
Schizotypic is offline   Reply With Quote