Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your music taste like?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

In the mid-80s I began to have my own taste in music (I was about 10). My first albums (vinyl) were J. Geils Band - Centerfold single (Rage In the Cage on the b-side), Def Leppard - Pyromania, and Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry and I loved them. They were the only things I heard outside of my parents music for a long time.

Then I began to listen to the radio so I heard Top 40 pop for the first time. INXS became my favorite band and I bought Listen Like Thieves (my first cassette). After seeing an advertisement for the album on the wall of my school I got Head on the Door by The Cure. Then came a huge onslaught of music and I listened to everything I could and pretty much settled on metal and metal-approved punk like The Misfits and the Ramones. My first 2 years of high school were dominated by that music until the Violent Femmes and Jane's Addiction taught me about "alternative rock". One day around this time I decided that it was OK to listen to Depeche Mode, so I did. Also at the time, shoegaze and other crazy-sounding pop (JAMC) was coming out of the UK and this was my new favorite music by far. My last two years of high school were spent on that and I also liked RHCP, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Fugazi and a smattering of popular indie stuff. I even came around to liking REM who I previously hated but I continued to hate U2.

College years (early-mid-90s) were all indie-math-rock-post-core or what have you. And Jazz and then experimental rock. For a while I started to dislike music that sounded familiar at all and I began to listen to a lot of "world music" like Hindu ragas and Gamelan music. Also got really into Delta Blues during this time. Friends of mine were into electronic (rave) music so I heard of lot of house and trip-hop during these years although I rarely liked it.

This brings us to the late 90s when I got back into metal thanks to bands like ISIS, Matodon, Pelican and all that. I also really got into the "metallic" hardcore bands like Botch, Coalesce and drowningman. I also got into hip-hop during these years thanks to all the underground stuff that came out throughout the 90s. I went back through all of that.

As new finds go I spent most of the 00s listening to stuff that I had missed from the past (like old Dischord stuff and old metal). Listening to instrumental hip-hop got me into other electronic music but I almost exclusively like 'downtempo' or otherwise dark sounds (not like 'darkwave' but like electronic dub). I can't remember why it started but several of my mid-00s were spent listening to vintage reggae, rocksteady, and ska. As for current tastes and current music, I like a little bit of all the genres that I have mentioned here but I'm pretty picky and I don't find much comfort in any one genre because there is so much that I love and hate about every genre.

So the sum of all that is what my music tastes like.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote