Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #4643 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Wow. I only downloaded this because it seemed to have a rather large cult following (and was a golden torrent on a private tracker) but was rather apprehensive going in, thinking it was a weird, 70s, LSD inspired B-film extravaganza. Especially when you know it involves Christopher Lee and deals with pagan rituals AND is essentially part musical. BUT wow, what a pleasant surprise. Not only is it NOT a B-film (the acting is all A-list) but it's a very intelligent and very well directed mystery-thriller with just a slight dash of horror. And the music is actually very pleasing and doesn't distract from the experience at all, on the contrary. Apparently what I saw was a very shortened, "butchered" version (at least according to the extras) but I thought it was perfect the way it was (I imagine the original version did drag on a bit). For anyone who has heard of it and had the same misgivings as I did, hurry up and see it, it really is a great film.

Have no idea what they did in the remake but I have no intention of watching it (absolutely cannot stand Cage).
I love this film! It totally took me by surprise in every way and I've never seen anything else quite like it. Like you, I haven't seen the remake with Nicholas Cage and I know it sucks .. I guess it was just milking the cash cow. This film still holds up great and certainly doesn't need a remake to make it more valid.

Sadly, I think the remake is giving this fine film a bad rep. Either way, one of my favourites. Thanks for reminding me, gonna have to show it to some friends one of these days