Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

12. Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
Year: 2002
Genre: Post-Harcore

Post-Harcore is a genre that I haven't had much experience with barring a few Fugazi, Alexisonfire, and plain South African bands. This album along with Fugazi's-13 Songs are thw two standouts from the little selection. I think why this album is successful is that it brings the onslaught of energy, passion and gut-busting that you expect from the genre tag yet still managing to stay semi-mainstream and alot more accesible than one would think.

The highlight of the album itself is the contrast between tranquility and agression, buildups and climaxes, where a rush of blood is almost guaranteed to the listener.

11. Tool - Lateralus
Year: 2001
Genre: Progressive Metal/Art Rock

Tool's 2001 release Lateralus brought praise and hate from the general public, with a rather huge divide between lovers and haters with not much in-between, which side do you fit on?

The complexity of the album and the multi-layered depths of the music is a real treat once you have stripped off the packaging and get to the roots of the album. The musicians in the band, like them or not, are a pretty talented bunch of lads, with some superb pieces coming in from all angles whether it be bass, drums, guitar or vocals(to a lesser extent), you will see them showing off their skills somewhere in the album.

The one draw back to the album is that it does not come with the visual show that Tool can be recognised with, which I have heard, they use to detract the audience from the members of the band and rather on the music/visuals. It must be quite an amazing sight to see them live... Sigh!

On a side note: I think this is a really solid release, however not Tool's best. That would go to Opium Den, for me personally as it captures them in their raw, unrefined days. The version of Sober that is on that bootleg is amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I'd be lying if I said Mastodon were my thing in particular (now that I think of it I've never really given them a proper chance either), but nevertheless really looking forward to the rest of this list. Keep up the good work eh.
I was going to say, they don't seem like a band that would right up your alley, nor any of the other entries so far, with a slight exception to Tool maybe. Cheers mate!

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote