Music Banter - View Single Post - Not another 'state of hip-hop today' thread
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
I thought Born Like This was dreadful. Lackluster production + underwhelming rhymes = wackness.
This. It really is a departure from his older work, because it feels like he didn't try as much or something. It just can't compare. I know hardly anyone agrees with me, but it's true.

But enough about that. This is the first rant I've ever read, are they all like this? What's the point of bitching about how a genre needs to change? Instead, it would be much more productive on his part to go find good albums that have been released since 2004. And if you don't want to go with super underground not well known albums, look at bands like Gorillaz or Madvillain or M.I.A. I don't think many would argue that those are bad projects, and most know at least 2 of them.

Also, saying this:

Quote:
Some swear by TI and Young Jeezy as charismatic artists, but neither came up with a MC persona we've not seen before.
right after writing:

Quote:
It's not even coming up with compelling new personalities. The last, by my reckoning, were Lil Wayne
completely destroys any credibility he may have had. I've said before and I'll say it again, I like Lil' Wayne. But I don't think anyone on this forum can explain to me how Lil Wayne was a compelling new personality while TI and Young Jeezy aren't original.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote