Music Banter - View Single Post - I cant tune my guitar
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
bandteacher1
Le professeur de musique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusken Raid View Post
I cant tune my acoustic guitar , Whenever my moms boyfriend comes around he can do t perfectly in under a minute but i cant tune one string right after an hour! ive looked at vids that show you what the strings should sound like when properly tuned but i still can never get them to sound like they should i broke my 1st string in the attempt the technique where the strings 5th fret should sound like the string below its open fret
eg: E 5th fret should sound like A open fret
A 5th fret should sound like D open fret
so on and so forth

but i cant do that because ALL my strings are out of tune

also another problem the morning after the guitar is tuned it goes out of tune , why does this happen?

i am new to the guitar and am probably missing something obvious or doing something horrendous to my guitar but i dont know what it is .
One of the three classes is a jazz class. My guitar/bass guitar players always encounter this problem. It's normally a fairly simple fix.

Some tips:
  • *Get a tuner. An inexperinced player shouldn't try to tune their instrument by ear. Your ear and intonation haven't devoloped yet, therefore, you won't know when the string is in tune, or when it's about to snap. Give yourself some time. You'll learn, in practice.
    *If you can, use a tuner and a piano (keyboard works fine too). Doing this, you'll be able to make sure it's tune, and it'll help your intonation devolope.
    *Part of the problem of the tuning slipping may be new strings/instrument. If that's the case, it'll stop in time. Be patient, and stick with it.
    *Make sure you room (or where ever you keep the instrument) stays a consetent temperture. If they room temp changes during the night, it'll make the wood expand/contrast. If the wood expands, the strings will go flat. If it contrasts, the strings will be sharp.

Hope that helps!
bandteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote