Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

10. Damian Marley - Welcome To Jamrock
Year: 2005
Genre: Reggae

"When I come to think of it, if your surname was Marley, and you had a father named Bob, you were blessed with some pretty spectacular genes. Damian is one of the many Marley’s, who have been a driving force in the reggae scene for the past 50+ years. Revolving around the regular topics of poverty and politics, this album is not on passion or lyrical insight. The most recognisable aspect to Damian and how you could tell him apart from his many siblings, is the use of the vocal technique of “toasting,” which in a nut-shell is when the artist either speaks or chants the lyrics over the beat or music. It may have been un-intentional at the time, but this album is almost foreshadowing his new release with Nas. This ranks right up their as one of the finer reggae albums I have heard, and you should too and if you think that he has a free-ride because of his father, you will be very surprised."

This is what I said earlier on in thsi thread when i mentioned this album. Not mcuh has changed since back then aswell, as I have only listened to in once since then. If you still haven't go this, download it now, maybe not on its absolute brilliance as a reggae album, but because it is quite a nice gateway to the genre as it is pretty accesible with some pop/rnb influences. I am sure I have siad it before but I recommended this to a few of my friends who listen to Taylor Swift, Black Eyed Peas, you get the drift and they have enjoyed it and come back for more.

9. Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill
Year: 2009
Genre: Jazz/Vocal

"Melody Gardot is an American jazz singer, and a very inspirational and talented one at that. After being paralysed at 19, she attended ‘Music Therapy’ classes and refers to the title of the album as her thoughts on music. Although she does battle to sit down to play the piano, and has to use a walking stick, she gets around and is making some fine music.

A soothing voice, lovely orchestral pieces and never knowing what is going to come next, are the attributes that make this album a real belter. Melody draws on many different ranges of music and styles such as Samba, and a range of vocals that can be so sweet one minute and the next so powerful. If that wasn’t enough, we are even treated to a delightful track sung in French “Les Etoiles.”

Once again, another album that has already seen praise in this thread and for good reason. A perfect album just to sit back and relax to or to de-stress. after work, lazy sundays, whilst studying, you name it. No cares in the world when this album is on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
This review makes me happy. Not enough people appreciate Tool on this forum, perhaps because many of their fans have this stupid stigma attached to them in which they overrate the band ridiculously. I'm on the 'love it' side, obviously. Lateralus is my favourite Tool album. Like you said, all members are very talented, and the technicality and musicianship of the album is just incredible. Not only that though, I just love the message that the album gradually explores through song to song.

And although most people despise this, I actually loved the insane fanaticism that was attached to it where fans figured out the 'real' tracklisting of the songs by plotting the track numbers in the Fibonacci sequence, the same sequence in which the title song 'Lateralus' is played in, etc etc etc etc. A lot of haters responded with the attitude of This is why I hate Tool fans, but I thought it was ridiculously awesome.

The album art was pretty cool, too. I guess they used that to try and capture the visual aspect of them.

Anyway, I don't know if I've replied in here yet but I am a lurker of your journal Great work, keep it up!
I guess that is what puts people off Tool in most cases is that most of their fans think they are the one and only band worth listening to in the entire world, luckily enough no one I know even knows who Tool are. Bonus having pop-chart friends.

I had no idea about the track title thing but I am looking around for some dirt on it now, seems like something fresh and to involve the fans, props to them for it I say.

Thanks, cheers for the reply eh

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote