Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #398 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
The reason I used "scientific fact" is because it as a statement reveals something true about nature, & the universe, it is objectively true and verifiable, something that is understood as being true even before it was discovered. So if God created the the Heavens and the Earth as the Bible says He did, why learrning facts about the universe contradict God as the creator?

"Science" to some has broaden it meaning to inlude technology and the inventions made possible form the increase of scientific knowledge. An example of "Science" (in the broad sense of the word) and Christianity that would not being compatible would be embryonic stem cell research. So that why I used scientific fact and not just plain science.
Well, you do realize this argument has nothing to do with the points I've made. When you replied, I thought you were having a discussion with me, not just yourself. You seem to try to refute my arguments on grounds and points that I never even brought up.

I wrote that religion comes into conflict with other ideas like science - basically in the hearts and minds of people. For example I think many people have a hard time believing the world was flooded and two of each animals were saved by Noah who had built a boat. Such an event would have left behind abundant clues and evidence. Furthermore, it's just not doable. You can't save all the world's animals in a boat. I mean, even if you did, the genetic variation on which to base future populations would be horribly low - and so on and so on. In heads of many people, it comes into conflict with reason. I know that to be true because it happens in my own mind so it must happen in the minds of others. However, not long ago a lot more people believed this. Science, reason and education is chipping away at these ideas and stories that make up religions.

Of course there was more to it than that, but it's the jist of it and it's also an argument your philosophical ponderings don't refute or even address. If you want to discuss against me, I'd rather you argue against the points I bring up and not the ones you make up yourself.