Music Banter - View Single Post - What Concerts Are You Going To In The Next Few Months
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #1163 (permalink)
DiSTANToblivion
Music Addict

Just came home from seeing Dream Theater (Sydney - 05/12/09)...

AMAZING show, like always (it's only the 2nd time I've seen them). It's funny though... 2 years ago it was An Evening With Dream Theater and this year it wasn't but it felt like a better show, strange? The set was great. Something unusual though - The show hadn't even started yet and we had the pleasure of hearing an unnamed female vocalist singing acoustic renditions of 'As I Am' and 'Pull Me Under' ...hmm weird? (she was great too). Every person in the band had their special spotlight moments. Portnoy continued drumming through a song, left his seat and tapped along in front of his kit to sit back down. It was a great moment to see. I was like 'oh he is drumming the crap out of anything he can hahaha'. Petrucci was God-like throughout but thats a given. I was suprised with the amount of stage presence given to Rudess. He absolutely blew me away. Myung was amazing as ever, the crowd went ballistic whenever he took front and center. Finally... LaBrie delivered. In a BIG way. All the criticism he deals with is bull**** in my eyes. The closing / encore was predictably 'The Count Of Tuscany' and everyone was so into it. It was very emotional. FANTASTIC.

Pain Of Salvation opened for them and they kicked some serious ass although I was disappointed with the lack of support for them down under. Sure there were quite a few people still screaming and having fun and I know they were there for DT but PoS still go off and were just as good as DT... okay I dunno about that, maybe I just have a soft spot for them, lol

btw 'The Count Of Tuscany' is now officially my favourite DT song.

Last edited by DiSTANToblivion; 12-05-2009 at 07:57 AM.
DiSTANToblivion is offline   Reply With Quote