Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitar or amp purchase advice for mom
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
bandteacher1
Le professeur de musique

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomama View Post
I need advice on a Christmas purchase for my 13 yr old son for Christmas.
He currently owns a Fender Starcaster guitar and an unknown $100 electric guitar. He also owns a Line 6 Spider III Amp. He has been playing for about 2 years and LOVES IT! He mostly likes playing rock (ie Guns and Roses, ACDC, Metallica, Ozzy, Nirvana) Between us...I wish he would soften up his preferences but....that's another post.
So... I am planning on spending between $300-$400 and leaning towards a new guitar or used.
Please advise whether you suggest upgraded guitar or upgraded amp for this money. also advice on which ones to look for.
He wrote a Christmas list asking for a Vox VT50 amp and an Ibaniz RGA32 guitar. any thoughts???
I will search for used too if it makes more sense.
He just started playing with a Christian rock band at local church. He is soooo excited-even though he had never played this music genre. It should be good for him. Want to get him a guitar that won't prohibit his growth as a musician.
Thanks so much for any help!!!!
Aren't kids so adorable? (I have three sons)

I'm going to agree with Dave, in that he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

If you aren't really sure about the quality of an used instrument, talk to the salesperson. Then talk to friends of yours who play instruments. Talk to anybody you possibly can, because when you buy used instruments, you never really know what you're getting into. On the other hand, it could be a very good instrument, just a little banged up. But if you can, a new shiny instrument always looks good under a Christmas tree.

Side topic: I was at a pon shop once, and the man had a chared, tarnished french horn in there. He gave it to me for 5$, a steal. I cleaned and polished the instrument, cleaned it out, and returned it to it's natural glory. The instrument was made in 1901, well worth 500$. That's what I was talking about, the pearl in the coal, if you will.

Anyways, best of wishes!
Home of the Firebird Marching Band
cvrhsmusic@yahoo.com

Quote:
Music is expression
bandteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote