Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitar or amp purchase advice for mom
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
bandteacher1
Le professeur de musique

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomama View Post
hi again!
my son was asked today to play guitar in school's advanced jazz band. he's so excited!his instructor recommended a hollow body. i think i read nice things about the ibanez art320. is it a semi-hollow body? would it work for jazz band and his personal favorite...rock? do you recommend it or something else? thanks so much for any advice.
p.s. i bought him the vox vt50 amp for xmas. happy holidays!
Hollow bodies and semi-hollow bodies are wonderful instruments, and provide terrific sound quality, and should work fine for Rock as well as Jazz. However, if it would only be used for the Jazz Ensemble, I would recomend getting one of the ones mention earlier. Speaking as a parent and a band teacher, I wouldn't comprimise your son's wishes over what a band teacher wants. Granted, I see where the band teacher is coming from, because of the rich Jazz sound, but I'd rather purchase a guitar for my son that he'd use everyday, not just on days he's playing with the Jazz Ensemble. My guess would be that his band teacher doesn't have kids, so the teacher can't see your point of veiw.

Hope that helps!
Home of the Firebird Marching Band
cvrhsmusic@yahoo.com

Quote:
Music is expression
bandteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote