Music Banter - View Single Post - Not another 'state of hip-hop today' thread
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

It's not more obvious, anyone has the ability to "diss" each other with music; perhaps instrumentals would be a lot more difficult, but there are plenty of genres where feuds can happen that aren't rap. Rap battles were a huge part of hip hop's history, and self promotion is a part of the game.

There's more than one focus point in battling and rapping. How can you say bragging is a big part of rap and say "it's okay because it's an act." Okay, then gangsta rap is okay because it's an act. It's entertainment, and there's always room for creativity.

Yes it was. It's a necessity because it allowed for so much expansion. Political rap and story telling excelled with gangsta rap, and not to mention, backpack and alternative rap come from opposing gangsta rap. All that "keepin' it real, not rappin' like i'm a gangsta" rap that you like comes from gangsta rap. I'm not acting like it's the first kind that existed, but it definitely caused the most expansion.

You're repeating yourself because you're contradicting yourself. You're telling me that GANGSTA RAP SUCKS and then saying BUT THERE ARE SOME THAT I LIKE. Either say it all sucks or admit that it doesn't all suck.

Gangsta rap has its place. If no one ever rapped about it, then there would be less diversity. Also, why the fuck would there not be gangsta rap? Songs are a reflection of our society, why shouldn't people rap about that?

Yeah, I strongly believe that people should rap about (or talk about) what they want to. But freedom of speech isn't all I was talking about. Had you been paying attention, you would have realized that I mentioned to not put strain on the topics that an artist can select from.

Lastly, give me a direct explanation as to why guns, drugs, or sex is for stupid people.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote