Music Banter - View Single Post - Beginner Guitarist
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedMyxomatosis View Post
Buy Epiphone Les Paul Special II Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Epiphone SG-Special Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Epiphone Explorer-GT Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Squier by Fender Affinity Series Stratocaster Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Personally I'd go with the Les Paul or SG, but that's just me. They're all good guitars with decent pickups. Try them out at the guitar store and see which one feels best to you, and go with that one. Have them replace the strings or do it yourself, as the stock strings usually suck. Ernie Ball strings are an excellent choice! Make sure the guitar you buy looks nice to you. As was said by Mr Dave, you want a guitar that appeals to you- not the cheapest one.

Now, amps. I'd go with a Marshall.

Buy Marshall MG4 Series MG10 10W 1x6.5 Guitar Combo Amp (Black) | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Thats perfectly loud. My guess is that you wont be playing gigs for a while, and so that amplifier would be perfectly loud.

Hope it all goes well, do tell what you ended up choosing- good luck!
I've played les paul specials and SG specials before. They're AWFUL guitars and I would avoid them if at all possible.

The Squier strats are pound for pound one of the best starter deals available right now. I would reccomend you get a Fat Strat, not a normal one though, since it'll be a much more versatile guitar. Something like this.

Buy Squier by Fender Affinity Series Fat Strat Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

As for the amp, all beginner amps sound like total crap, sorry, but its a fact. Just go down to the shop and choose the one that sounds best to you, and don't expect too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote