Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Australia become a republic?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Default Should Australia become a republic?

I'm starting a thread on this because I've been hearing about it on the news a lot recently... and chances are nobody will read or reply to this because there aren't a lot of Australians on here but I just wanted to pose these issues to everybody not just regarding Australia but other countries in the world as well. I don't think I have a lot of knowledge on the topic so it'd be good to hear what other people's opinions are.

Australia currently operates as a Constitutional Monarchy under the rule of the British Commonwealth. And what I want to know is why people think we should become a republic? Although we are a part of the monarchy, the Governor General (The Queen's representative) has no power whatsoever and The Queen of England has no rule in Australia anymore - we elect our own government.

The Prime Minister we elect cannot rule the nation in the same way as the president can rule America, for example. And I think we are operating fine this way, it ensures that not too much power is given to one particular person or party and well basically, why try to change something when it has been working fine for over one hundred years?

I like being part of the British Commonwealth as it keeps our ties, whether they be figurative or not, with the UK and our history and heritage with them. That is who we are. And I just don't get why people are so intent with wanting to change the constitution when it hasn't caused any major problems.

What do you guys think?