Music Banter - View Single Post - Not another 'state of hip-hop today' thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #60 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's not more obvious, anyone has the ability to "diss" each other with music; perhaps instrumentals would be a lot more difficult, but there are plenty of genres where feuds can happen that aren't rap. Rap battles were a huge part of hip hop's history, and self promotion is a part of the game.

feuds do happen. Bands hate each other especially in the rock industry but they don't go around singing it.

There's more than one focus point in battling and rapping. How can you say bragging is a big part of rap and say "it's okay because it's an act." Okay, then gangsta rap is okay because it's an act. It's entertainment, and there's always room for creativity.

that's the problem with gangster rap and is exactly what i have been trying to say. They're acting gangster just to make money and fit in. When they shouldn't need to/want to do that.

Yes it was. It's a necessity because it allowed for so much expansion. Political rap and story telling excelled with gangsta rap, and not to mention, backpack and alternative rap come from opposing gangsta rap. All that "keepin' it real, not rappin' like i'm a gangsta" rap that you like comes from gangsta rap. I'm not acting like it's the first kind that existed, but it definitely caused the most expansion.

im tired of repeating myself. I've already spoken about this over and over you're just repeating yourself then i'm repeating myself it's extremely pointless.

You're repeating yourself because you're contradicting yourself. You're telling me that GANGSTA RAP SUCKS and then saying BUT THERE ARE SOME THAT I LIKE. Either say it all sucks or admit that it doesn't all suck.

No. Vin Diesel movies suck, he's a terrible actor. But they are entertaining. How can you not tell the difference? i might love boy bands but it doesn't make them good musicians. Big Pun, Big L, Big Daddy Kane, Royce 5'9, Tech N9ne. These are all very talented rappers but they don't seem to respect the talent they have. Instead of trying to do something with their music they're just trying to fit around the usual crap because it sells. Where as Ice Cube, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes can be entertaining but are talentless as rappers. They're just great actors and models they know how to make music sell, they don't know how to rap.

Gangsta rap has its place. If no one ever rapped about it, then there would be less diversity. Also, why the fuck would there not be gangsta rap? Songs are a reflection of our society, why shouldn't people rap about that?

I didn't say it shouldn't exist. Tupac, N.W.A these guys were breaking the mould they were doing things differently. They didn't do gangster rap specifically to make themselves millions and to look cool they did it to bring attention to the lives people like them were having to lead, to get the world to listen. You can't really compare brendas got a baby and express yourself to "the candy shop".

Yeah, I strongly believe that people should rap about (or talk about) what they want to. But freedom of speech isn't all I was talking about. Had you been paying attention, you would have realized that I mentioned to not put strain on the topics that an artist can select from.

blah blah blah - this is me repeating myself yet again. Go read my other posts they should answer all of your questions.

Lastly, give me a direct explanation as to why guns, drugs, or sex is for stupid people.

My point is that everyone thinks that's what rap is about now and they're wrong and they're stupid for thinking that. It's the same as everyone thinking metal is all about screaming really loud and playing instruments really fast. It's just a stupid stereotype because people are to ignorant to branch out and actually try and listen. And the rappers selling this stuff are far from stupid (they know how to make millions) they're just completely uncreative, and talentless as lyricists (therefore talentless as rappers).
replies in bold as usual.

Gangster rap was once great, it was very well done, the artists were creative and intelligent. They were trying to bring attention to the lives people were having to lead, trying to get people to do something about it to change it. But now it's all about how cool you are for living that life not how desperate you are to escape it. It's gotten to the point where it is destroying our culture.

"but its a time that I miss; you ask whats the difference,
Hip-Hop was then a culture, now hip-hop's a business"

to that other guy who said "Don't blame the genre, don't blame the lyricist. Blame the people who buy the music."

I am blaming them. But the artist doesn't have to write about that. They're choosing money over their passion. They're choosing to conform to what will make them money rather than staying true to themselves. It's the rappers fault just as much as the idiotic fans who actually buy this crap.

And T.I is definitley gangster rap, what else would you class him as? He sucks as a lyricist to. Name me an american mainstream rapper who doesn't.

Biggest problem really is that americans refuse to listen to rap unless it was made in america. I hate dividing rap by nationality but right now the only rap i can listen to is australian. Their rappers have the passion and the talent that american rappers had before it went from being a culture to a business.

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 12-06-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote