Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Australia become a republic?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I have to admit I'm not all that well versed in the ins and outs of the Australian government but if your relationship to the UK is anything like Canada's I would find it disturbing that there was a person beholden to another government who could dissolve my government whenever they felt like it, even if their position was usually regarded as ceremonial. So I guess that means if I were Australian I'd want to become a republic.
Well, apparently:

Quote:
The formal constitutional role of the monarchy in Australia differs from it's formal role in other Commonwealth realms such as Canada, in that the written constitution of Australia places most executive power in the hands of the Governor-General, while the written Constitution of Canada places the executive power in the hands of the monarchy.
I don't think another government can dissolve our government 'whenever they feel like it' in fact after all my research I don't think that has ever happened and doubt it would ever happen in such a way which would be dictatorial. Like I said, The Queen in her present state and in the state of how the government runs cannot speak for Australia or the people of Australia. We elect and run our own government which is not ruled by any other government.

Interesting input, though. Like you said, it is probably a reason why people would want to become a republic. Even though if they really look at how our government runs it is not the case. Hrm.