Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Australia become a republic?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarko View Post
I don't see any real benefit to become a Republic atm tbh. I would vote for it I guess just to get the **** out of the way, but I don't see what would dramatically change with a change in our current state.

The argument of heritage is about as old as MOST of the people who sprout it (no offence meant Lat).
Exactly, I don't see any benefit in becoming a republic at the moment either. Like I said, why try to 'fix' something when it isn't broken? Our political system as worked well for us thus far so why try to change it?

And ha, no offense taken!

I also wonder if Australia became a republic what would happen to New Zealand and if they would follow our decision and become a republic themselves. At the moment Australia has very close ties with New Zealand; as an Australian you are able to reside and work there infinitely without needing a Visa and without having to go through any kind of process at all, and they're in the process of making it possible to travel there without a passport. I wouldn't want anything to jeopardise those ties that we have. (I'm not sure if the changing of our constitution or anything would affect this, but just saying.) I'm happy with the way things are now so I don't see the point in going to such an effort to change them,