Music Banter - View Single Post - What/Who Influences Your Music Taste And Why? ...and more
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

My dad got me into the first music that I can really say that I was into, which was Classic Rock: a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors etc., because he played in a cover band when my siblings and I were little.

Thankfully, when I was young, the music scene in America was dominated by Grunge, so I caught onto that fairly early (age 7 or so), and this was in no small part thanks to the Poore brothers, Sean and Jay. They were 12 and 14 when we met them in our Judo class in Maryland where we grew up. They got me into bands like Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana. And they were also listening to bands like Pantera, Sepultura and White Zombie, which scared the hell out of me as a kid. My dad actually wound up getting really into White Zombie because of those guys.

When I was 9, I decided that Metallica was my favorite band, even though I had only heard a staticy "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" on the radio.

From then on, I started exploring heavier music. I got myself into Pantera, and was hooked for quite some time.

Then I met the Cocherane brothers when I was in 8th grade, down here in South Carolina. They introduced me to a lot of my favorite music today.

From here, the story gets really long and complicated.

So, to make my life story of music short, here's a brief schematic of who got me into what.

My dad - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, The Who, The Doors, Aerosmith, Jimi Hendrix Experience, John Prine
My mom - Motown
My sister - Shellac, O'Death, Earth
My brothers - The Grateful Dead, Corrosion of Conformity, Meshuggah, Car Bomb, Gojira
The Poore brothers - Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, White Zombie
The Cocherane brothers - Slayer, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Opeth, King Crimson, Mr. Bungle, The Misfits, Dead Kennedys, The Mars Volta, Iron Maiden, Bad Religion
Dan Mesich - Dysrhythmia, Psyopus, Isis, Pelican, Fantomas
Tommy Brady - NOFX
Billy Bullard - I.C.P., Pig Destroyer, The Black Keys, Easy Star Dub All-Stars
Cathy Nguyen - The Roots, Zebulon Pike, Frederic Chopin, Garage a Trois

Bands/Artists I discovered on my own
Metallica, Pantera, Between the Buried and Me, Primus, Tom Waits, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum