Music Banter - View Single Post - Best social protest bands?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCellarTapes View Post
The tricky thing for me about protest bands is that they're always going to have an air of hypocracy about them, due in part to the industry they find themselves in, especially with all that money swirling round the music industry.

I dont doubt the merits of individual songs and which part of the heart they came from, but I cannot take bands with a protest message all that seriously, I'm afraid.

To answer the question though, I do really love Gogol Bordello, but I aint an anarchist punk dude
absolutely 100% agree.

i can't take the apparent hypocrisy seriously, the idealism is only appealing while you're an idealist that still sees the world in black and white. once you've grown to see everything in shades of grey the inherent immaturity of the ideals is too hard to ignore.

also.... Soundgarden? social protest? 1 song per album on average if that hardly makes them a protest group. maybe i just misinterpreted them all these years, then again the fact that they left their music open to interpretation is what made them so great to my ears. as opposed to being lectured for 44 minutes a pop a la RATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote