Music Banter - View Single Post - The White Stripes
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #139 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default GBMS Impression

This is not a review, nor an attack on anyone who posted an aforementioned opinion, this is just my impression.

First of all, Blue Orchid is a left over from Elephant and is the most out of place track on the album. If you are buying the CD because you think its all like this, it is not.

That being said I really like this album. It was said before that this was their weakest effort. I see this as a change in sound, and not nessicerily a step in the wrong direction. While this is all Stripes, i do see a bit of a Beck influence here and while I can't explain that entirely, you can see him singing some of these songs (forever for her, As ugly as I seem) but I really like this album and it reminds me up De Stijl. If you read any similiar reviews that I did that said they used alot of roots influence, well I feel this is the case. The traditional last track is still in rare form, "I'm Lonely" sits right up next to southern can, and Its true that we love one another.

I think rolling stone said that Jack White is a one man AC/DC and I can see this alot in Blue Orchid and The Denial Twist. The latter garners that comparison on the fact that its a blues song built on chords, and the drums added combine to make a decidedly funky track that has no funk styling to it.

All in all, this is a throw back to their ealier styling where it wasn't all rock and had a ton of diffrent styles mashed together. I say this album gets a 4 out of 5 rating. But thats probably biased because Im a white stripes fanatic (as noted in the name).