Music Banter - View Single Post - What ever happened to Music Eras
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

As others have said, unfortunately we currently lack the privilege of retrospection and hindsight that brings with it analysis and compartmentalisation. I think this decade will become known for the growth in power of the internet and the galvanising effect it had on self-promotion, empowering th individual as oppose to the company if you will.

As i said, we do not have the luxury of hindsight yet so i cant say whether the internet has blurred the presence of time and space(obviously we know this to be true in terms of communications, but for music i'm not sure) , the media publifications that contribute a great deal to the genre mill have seen their influence weakened due to the increased accessibility of music, so readers arent turning to NME for the next album (and ubiqitous classification)) to buy. They're discovering and downloading them for themselves from the comforts of their own room, as opposed to going out and participating in the ritual of buying and sharing music with people face to face. That's how movements would start, with the gathering of like-minded people, and im not sure if this is taking place anymore to such an extent.

It'll be interesting to see what this decade means to people in 10 years.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote