Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bass thread
Thread: The Bass thread
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #184 (permalink)
missinglink
Groupie

Howdy all

New on the forum ... been playing for many a year yet never paid much attention to the finer details, something that appears to be haunting me in my later years.

Any suggestions on best pick ups for bass ?

I'll tell you why ...

Ive got the following guitars at the mo and have changed both the strings to Flatwound Chromes for a tonal change - helps alot on low end notes.

Ive got the Ibanez SR5006E & the ESP Ltd F-5E.

Ive got this great idea right.

I wanna mod a slightly older 4 string i have lying around. Wanna rip out the electronics and do the following - replace both existing pickups with decent actives - ie the Bartoloni's on the Ibanez SR (Beautiful tone) . Wanna then mod a third pickup into the centre for a clean sound and run it to a seperate volume and output to link directly into my amp while the others are through an effects pedal giving me both clean and effects at the same time or one at a time (John Myung from Dream Theatre has been seen doing this - my favourite bassist)

Now i just dont know what would be best - i like the Bartoloni's but crap theyre expensive - got a quote the other day and nearly fell flat on my back.

The middle ones gotta be best for a clean low end sound but also not restiricting the highs and the other two are not as important.

Also can you but cello parts in individual pieces ?

Wanna cut the body off that old 4 string and mod the bridge to have a arc as a cello to allow for note selection with a bow and pop a cello spike on the bottom and play it with my violin bow - have tried already and sounds amazing through effects and what not ...

Looking forward to your suggestions