Music Banter - View Single Post - Prying Open My Third Eye! A Look Into The Musicians That Inspired Me
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
APCTOOL91
TOOL's biggest tool

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments, really appreciate it!

Serj Tankian

So in about 8th grade my friend Ryan introduced me to System of a Down by playing their song "Chic N' Stu" at the highest volume possible! As a constantly heard the words "pizza-pizza pie" I thought to myself, "this is ****ING AWESOME!" System of a Down's intricate lyrics and heavy sound lured me in like a Siren. Serj Tankian's voice hit me like a lightning bolt, it wa fast, hard, melodic, and the after result was pure bliss.

Serj started playing in the band SOIL with Daron Malakian and eventually Shavo Odajian (one of my favorite bass players) to form System of a Down. They recruited drummer Ontronik "Andy" Khachaturian but was replaced by John Dolyman, they would burst onto the Nu-Metal scene with their self-titled debut album in 1998. With fast songs and playful lyrics it became a major hit. They would lead up with their critically acclaimed album "Toxicity" in 2001 and "Steal This Album!" in 2002. In 2005 they released their double albums "Mesmerize" and "Hypnotize."

Serj's efforts with SOAD came to a hiatus so he soon decided to release his solo debut album "Elect The Dead." Serj's solo efforts paid off as I highly reccomend that album! Serj's lyrics are mostly political and are to defy and to musically reform society to become peaceful and he does so in a voice of passion.

What to listen to/read:

http://www.last.fm/user/RogueS7a7us

Last edited by APCTOOL91; 12-12-2009 at 11:04 PM.
APCTOOL91 is offline   Reply With Quote