Music Banter - View Single Post - Who are your favourite actors and why?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
i don't really understand what you're trying to say.
It means he's not funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
Al Pacino? he can suck an egg. He's great, one of the best. But he couldn't have played de niros part in raging bull or hide & seek or even meet the fockers.
I'll give you Raging Bull, but that's about it. I think that Pacino could have played Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver with style and finesse to spare. However, Deniro at his best couldn't even approach the role of Tony Montana in Scarface. Why? Deniro can't do ethnic roles, unless of course it's Italian American.

Quote:
de niro is an icnredibly versatile actor. Just because the majority of the parts he plays is the tough guy/gangster role doesn't mean he's not versatile. He's proven he can play completely different characters with the movies i mentioned.
Deniro plays the stoic Italian American tough guy. He is a stoic Italian American. Not a big stretch from his own personae. In comedies he plays the stoic tough guy. In gangster flicks he plays the stoic tough guy gangster. Robert Deniro plays Robert Deniro. Period

Quote:
"Anthony Hopkins" - starred in one decent movie and he's one of the best actors ever? The guys living off hannibal lector. What else has he done to deserve that kind of status?
notice that many of these roles are non-British period pieces, showing his character diversity, and thus his skill as an actor. Unlike Deniro an Italian American who has, to my knowledge always only played Italian Americans, Hopkins is a British actor who has played characters from a diverse range of periods, cultures, and ethnicities:

Hannibal Lecter Silence of the Lambs Oscar winner - best actor
John Quincy Adams (Amistad) Oscar nomination
Pierre Bezukhov (War and Peace)
William Bligh (The Bounty)
Count Galeazzo Ciano (Mussolini and I)
Abraham Van Helsing (Bram Stoker's Dracula)
James Stevens (The Remains of the Day) Oscar nomination
Burt Munro (The World's Fastest Indian)
Richard Nixon (Nixon) Oscar Nomination
Iago (Othello)
Pablo Picasso (Surviving Picasso)
Ptolemy I Soter (Alexander)
Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Adolf Hitler (The Bunker)
Richard the Lionheart (The Lion in Winter)
Titus Andronicus (Titus)
Frederick Treves (The Elephant Man)
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote