Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #2738 (permalink)
Schizotypic
Souls of Sound Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
It says they're from Mauritania on the cover, anyway, seems cool. I'm downloading it.

Edit:
I listened to it. Definitely Tarab, music that is used to meditate or to just to trip to (notable Tarab singer: Oum Koultoum). That's why all songs are ~20 minutes long, repeating usually the same sentence.

Now it would've been much greater if they used a bouzouk or a Oud, or any of the traditional acoustic instruments, but I guess their whole concept was to inject some western vibe with the electric guitar. I guess that's why you made a bad trip listening to them.

Tho what I liked in that music, and which was bound to happen due to Mauritania's position in the world. An Arabic country, on the north of Senegal and the south of Morocoo, like the separation of very different cultures. So these identities were merged to build some kind of mix of the traditional Arabic Tarab with the African, plus in some places we can hear the Moroccan Rai. If well arranged and recorded, I say this has the potential to be great.
Wow, Numbernine you really sound like you know your world music. You should send some stuff if you have anything that you think is better then this, been trying to get into more world music but I'm honestly having a bit of a time adjusting. For me at first it was mind blowing, but after an hour it was sort of annoying... like The Mars Volta. Have any suggestions?
Schizotypic is offline   Reply With Quote