Music Banter - View Single Post - Lateralus' Musical Meanderings
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #42 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
As you already passed through it twice, first with piano and then with guitar, I guess you should know what will happen next.

Now I tried learning the piano for 2 years, and stopped cause I was a dumb kid and I had an even dumber teacher, that was acting more like a sadistic dictator.
Then this year, I bought my own acoustic guitar, and tried to teach myself. It wasn't very hard at the beginning. I liked that my fingers are getting rougher on the edges, and like everything just evolving under my eyes. Then, there was that ugly F major chord, and everything turned to a nightmare! So I quit, after trying unsuccessfully to play that bar chord.

Well not really, that wasn't it, but I have to put a reason for quitting, other than me being so lazy. I guess it was frustrating at times, when you know that you can't get "good" in just 2 days or probably 2 weeks time. When you know that there is a long process that you can't just cut down, it can be very much frustrating.

** But as you said, you are determined. So I'm pretty much sure that you are gonna do it
eventually, and in a shorter time than most of us.
Argh the dreaded F major chord! I hit the same difficulty when I was learning guitar years ago. I conquered a whole bunch of chords - C, G, A, E, D, Dm, Am, Em, etc etc. And then I came to F. I could not do it. I hated F. And I hated that it seemed to turn up in every song I tried to learn. So I understand your frustration. Eventually my fingers adapted to being able to play bar chords a lot better, but still to this day I am not a huge fan of them AT ALL.

Oh, and I don't believe in 'dumb kids,' only in dumb teachers But I understand completely where you're coming from, sometimes it just seems to easy to just quit - this painful and frustrating process of learning instruments was exactly what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
I'm constantly frustrated with my damn keyboard... it's probably the main reason I don't play more often than I do. I always find myself simply not being able to play fast enough, or switch chords perfectly, or hit the melody right every time, and it drives me insane. But I guess practice makes perfect, like #9 said.
Yep indeed... practice does make perfect. But sometimes the frustration just makes you not want to practice because it's too painful!