Music Banter - View Single Post - The Recreational Drug Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #1985 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Random question...

What are people's opinions on professionals who smoke pot? And doing marijuana in general and its illegality? Because I'm not going to lie, I used to regularly smoke weed for recreational purposes - never dangerously or irresponsibly - but I pretty much decided to bring my recreational drug use to a halt figuring that I am studying to be a teacher and it just seemed wrong for me to be doing such things when in the future I am going to be job that requires being principled, so to speak.

What do you guys think? The reality is that there are loads of 'professionals' out there who smoke pot but I think if I continued to use marijuana recreationally after I become qualified I would feel so guilty.

Just wondering what other people's opinions are, as it is an interesting topic for discussion.

EDIT: Even though I would never, ever smoke pot before or during work or before or during working with children, I would still completely remove the drug from my activity outside of school, on weekends, everything.

But is what you do outside of work still important in regards to the job you uphold in society? Is using marijuana outside of the professional environment the same as having a few drinks, in your opinion?
Why would you feel like smoking pot makes you a less principled person? Do you drink alcohol? It's a mind-altering drug. So is coffee. Yet most people drink alcohol and coffee without fear of being thought of as an addled, irresponsible, low-life punk. I think the only thing that should factor into it is the illegality. But realistically, most of us regularly break laws of some kind without becoming labeled a social deviant.
The problem is most people let the general media and anti-drug propaganda tell them how to think.
If you're not hurting yourself or others by doing whatever mind-altering substance you do, then apart from breaking a useless law, you shouldn't feel like you're being irresponsible. If you do, then congratulations... the media brain massage worked.