Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Star Albums: Every Song
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #52 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjuice View Post
I'm really strict with my rating system...I've rated about 5k/6.5k of my songs, and only 40 are 5*. Pretty much a song has to have literally changed my life or my outlook on life in order to gain that status.
Wow, that is really strict. I'm a little more generous with awarding 5 stars to a song, but still not generous enough that I can name a single album in this thread. If a song really hits the spot for whatever reason, regardless of meaning, if it makes me say hell yes or gives me chills or something, that's a 5-star song to me. Anyway we all have our own way of rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
I look at ranking a song from two perspectives, either you judge it by itself, or in the context of the album.. Great albums create momentum, and in the flow of an album, some songs will get the higher ranking, simply because it serves the need of the album. What I hear before and after the song has great impact on how I judge it. Maybe I'm too lenient?
I think that's very true, and I rate things both ways really (without thinking about it). However, one of these songs that may work really well as part of the album but not as much on its own, will likely never be above 4 stars for me. On its own it would likely not be above 3. Essentially what Stu is saying above.