Music Banter - View Single Post - Lateralus' Musical Meanderings
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #43 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

I took guitar lessons for about 5 minutes when I was a kid. I doubt I was too fussed about the whole thing when I first gave it a go anyway.

But, a few years down the line I started taking alto sax lessons, which were dead frustrating, especially when you first pick the thing up, trying to figure out why you can't make a noise with it, let alone sound like David Sanborn. Once I knew how to use the main keys, octave key and key guards properly, it was pretty easygoing, at least 'til my teacher started giving me jazz pieces to do - the kinda tunes that combine staccato, higher or lower air pressure for different notes (ones that varied during the note were a pain in the arse), and it got really annoying when it came to making impossible angles with your fingers to get to all those levers on the side of the thing.

It was all good fun though, especially when I actually got the hang of something - very rewarding feeling, as you said. Plus my teacher was an alright bloke, which helped I guess.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote