Music Banter - View Single Post - The Recreational Drug Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #1987 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Random question...

What are people's opinions on professionals who smoke pot? And doing marijuana in general and its illegality? Because I'm not going to lie, I used to regularly smoke weed for recreational purposes - never dangerously or irresponsibly - but I pretty much decided to bring my recreational drug use to a halt figuring that I am studying to be a teacher and it just seemed wrong for me to be doing such things when in the future I am going to be job that requires being principled, so to speak.

What do you guys think? The reality is that there are loads of 'professionals' out there who smoke pot but I think if I continued to use marijuana recreationally after I become qualified I would feel so guilty.

Just wondering what other people's opinions are, as it is an interesting topic for discussion.

EDIT: Even though I would never, ever smoke pot before or during work or before or during working with children, I would still completely remove the drug from my activity outside of school, on weekends, everything.

But is what you do outside of work still important in regards to the job you uphold in society? Is using marijuana outside of the professional environment the same as having a few drinks, in your opinion?
Some of the best teachers I've ever had either still smoked pot or at least admitted they had and that there was nothing wrong with it.

The whole anti-Marijuana stigma is something that will, mercifully and hopefully, work it's way out of the system of our generation. I honestly don't know anybody my age that thinks it should be kept illegal (who knows anything about it, anyway).

Bill Hicks once said that, "Anything you can do sober, you can do high. It's just that pot makes you realize it's not worth the effort.". True in most situations as far as a "job" is concerned. A career is another matter. So let me ask you this: How quickly would you have realized what you want to do with your life if you hadn't discovered Marijuana? A speculative question maybe, and it's not one you have to answer, but its more or less just something to think about.

And the thing about alcohol vs. pot; although they make a great combination from time to time, pot is not nearly as dangerous or taxing on the health as alcohol. Anybody that knows anything about the two knows that.

Quote:
Personally, I've never mixed drugs with work, primarily because what I do requires the use and operation of heavy machinery. It's never been a question of legality or ethics, it's always been about safety, which I think is the main thing. If you can go about your business without hurting yourself or others under the influence then more power to you, but I've never been one to chance it.
This also brings up another point. That of personal accountability. Which, sadly, seems a lot to ask of a lot people. But then again, anybody that isn't responsible enough to stay safe in their work needs to find something else to do.