Music Banter - View Single Post - Tipper
Thread: Tipper
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Holding Pattern

This one's from 2001, his second album, and the oldest one I've listened to. My second time through at the moment. Definitely more straight up breakbeat, perhaps nu-skool breaks, or both. Though it doesn't have that trancey/progressive feel that a lot of nu-skool breaks has, so I guess it's just breakbeat. I think a few of the songs on here are on his Tip Hop album, which I believe is essentially a DJ mix of his own material (a great one to check out for those new to Tipper). Some of the tracks are great, some feel a little bit like transition tracks, what may feel like filler tracks on a DJ mix or in a club set. Nothing bad though of course. But with this particular style, I think the tracks (the really strong ones) are best suited on DJ mixes of various artists. This is perhaps why - when I first got into breaks in the early part of the decade - artist albums didn't interest me as much as a DJ mix. I think the same could be said about Wobble Factor - the tracks are great, but they'd perhaps work better on a multi-artist DJ mix in which they would stand out as some of the best tracks on the mix.

The only other track from this album I can find on YouTube is the closing track, a mellow one that isn't representative of the album so I won't post it.