Music Banter - View Single Post - What ever happened to Music Eras
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
only if the 80s never happened.

seems to me MTV and 'music television' in general finally lost all relevancy to new music around 2001
In the early 80's there was still a lot of experimental stuff, they were still developing and blending music styles from 70's Punk, New Wave, 70's Techno, Funk, Soul and Ska. In the early 80's one-hit-wonders replaced the big acts of the 70s Bee Gee's and big names in Disco, but then the one-hit-wonders were replace by acts like Michael Jackson and Madonna Ciccone, and Glam & Hair Metal. I never really watched MTV so imo they never had any relevancy. But I felt they killed music by making it uber-commercialize commodity. With the exception of a few things in the early 80's, the decade was a total bust, it's enough to make me wish MTV never happened.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote