Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Star Albums: Every Song
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #98 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The clever power pop hidden away in Nevermind was probably the key to its success. I know a lot of people that dislike heavy metal and hard rock in general, BUT love Nirvana and state them as one of their all-time favourite bands!!! if I put on Soundgarden, Alice in Chains or Stone Temple Pilots all huge grunge bands of the era they equally dislike these bands as well, accusing them of being noisy and heavy, its seems like Nirvana and especially Nevermind transcends all this, with its hidden pop melodies. Or maybe its just the myth of Cobain that has been entrenched into their minds.....

By the way, these same people love Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, 80`s and 90`s Aerosmith.......
Most definitely. It probably wasn't their intention. It just seemed to be the way it happened. Not to mention the producer they hooked up with while recording Nevermind. In interviews, the band used to say that their music on Nevermind reminded them of lullabies and childrens' songs. And then In Utero was more of a return to their more Indie roots, along with collaborating with Steve Albini. Probably why it wasn't as commercially successful.

Speaking of which, these people you're referring to, I imagine that Nevermind is the only Nirvana album they listen to? What do they think of a song like "Territorial Pissings"? or "Breed"? I guess they wouldn't even approach a song like "Tourette's" or "Scentless Apprentice". The "noisiness" of a band like AIC shies in comparison.

Ah, the myth of Kurt! And the best thing to ever happen to Courtney Love's music career! Yeah, and they were still selling Nirvana posters in Wal-Mart in 1997. No wonder he killed himself.

Pop, pop and never stop. I join you in a hearty guffaw. Or chortle, whichever you prefer.