Music Banter - View Single Post - Top Ten PUNK Bands (post fall out boy at own risk)
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #258 (permalink)
lieasleep
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I label music genres based on how it sounds, not how they act outside the studio and off the stage. Why is punk the only genre where you have to earn the right to be called truly "punk"? Do you have to wear all black to be considered a death metal band, or is playing actual death metal music enough to meet your standards?

I couldn't give two ****s if Blink or Green Day eventually sold out. At the time captured by their previous recordings they were most certainly punk and that's what I'm listening to.

The Hives more recent albums simply represent them progressing their sound. I like to call it the London Calling Effect. Does London Calling mean that The Clash isn't a punk album? I think not. You are just too caught up in presenting an image that you can't just appreciate the music some bands create. I listened to a Fall Out Boy album yesterday. There, I said it. I even enjoyed a couple of the tracks. And they sounded kinda punk...
*i put one line in bold because it is, itself, so awful and terrible a sentence that i need not argue against it.

ok 1. don't talk to me like you know me.

2. it is not image in punk that i am worried about, it is the sincerity. and i sure as hell liked blink and green day when i was 14, but i am not the little twat i was then. i realize now that entirely MUCH better music with overwhelingly sincerity has been made

3. you do not have to "earn" any right to be called punk. just don't make ****ty little songs that could be produced by any 16-year-old-disney-star-bitch, add distortion and a male voice and call it punk. punk grew as a reaction. real punk is entrenched in raw power, dirty, pissed off punks, truely believing in the **** that you are prosthelytizing, actually standing for something. punk music itself was a reaction. punk music's existence was supposed to be a protest, but that protest got eaten up by major record labels and making punk into an image. like i said before, punk is just as much in an artist's or band's convictions as it is in their music. punk has been dead for over twenty years and is only really alive in the infinitely small circle of folk-punk (head on over to plan-it-x records and have a listen) and d.i.y. punk artists of today (Bomb the Music Industry, etc.) i have been to vans warped tour, i have seen punk of today, and it is anything but.

and no, song length has nothing to do with it.
lieasleep is offline   Reply With Quote