Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #4762 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I also recently watched the latest Harry potter film with my kids and I don't care what all you peeps that think that the films are immune from criticism say: it was boring as hell. Solid direction an' all that but this is a kids movie? give me Neverending Story anytime.
I don't know how many times I say this to people but the later Harry Potter films/books are not supposed to be kids movies. The series grows with its readers. I started reading it when I was 12 and when the first film came out I was still quite young. As I and other fans grew older, the series also matured to suit our 'reading ages' and by the final book and final film I would honestly call it an adult series.

If you haven't read the books or grown up with the series I can understand completely how you wouldn't enjoy the film. I think it could possibly be a generational thing. I have read all the books and seen all of the films that have been released so far and absolutely love them. I think the films are such a faithful representation of the novels. But I do admit that probably a lot of the reason why I love the series so much is because I grew up reading the books and so they hold sentimental value as well.

You'll have a very hard time enjoying the movies if you're not familiar with the books or with the immensity that it swept up the childhood and teenagehood of people from that generation.